Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Camaraderie with Strangers

This morning I had to go back into see my RE, Dr. T, for more blood work since my first IUI was cancelled on Monday due to my progesterone levels and missed ovulation. While sitting in the office with the other 8 women, I began to think about how we were all there for one thing: to get pregnant. We all have an unspoken bond; we had invested all of our trust, faith and hope into one man, a doctor, to help us have a family of our own. Just sitting in the office I feel a little less alone then I do before walking into the door. I wondered if any of the other women were unexplained like me, how they deal with the everyday unknowing of infertility and what they did on their own before searching out medical treatment. I know where my husband and I have been, what we have tried on our own, how easy it is to obsess over every little twinge, temperature and timing. While going through this thing called infertility I have become very determined and obsessive over trying to have a baby. It isn’t something that I am proud of but it is the truth. I never knew that I carried this quality; I always prided myself in being an easy going person that goes with the flow, and more often than not without a plan. However when you have a goal that most people can attain so easily, it’s hard to think of yourself or anyone else having any obstacles to accomplish the same goal. Nevertheless one in six couples have been diagnosed with infertility, and this morning I had the unfortunate privilege of sitting with eight of them in a quiet waiting room of hope.

A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met. ~ Unknown

0 comments: