Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Retrieval Day



The day of the retrieval I had an odd sense of calm, going in. I was concerned about what the quality and quantity of eggs that would be retrieved, but I knew in my heart I did everything in my power to grow the eggs that could some day be our ½ of our child(ren). I wore my white velour hoodie and yoga pants that I wore the day of our wedding (who cares if it was after Labor Day-I live in Fl people, we wear white all year long), along with a brightly colored tank that was pink, blue, aqua and lime green striped (I didn’t want to wear pink or blue, and green was my Great-Grandmother’s favorite color – I wanted to represent everyone), and some comfy Dr. Scholl’s flip flops. I packed the car for the ride home with plenty of water, crackers, vanilla wafers, a pillow and a comfy blanket… and we were off. Tom and I barely spoke on the ride there about what our morning would bring. It was a rainy Friday, and although we didn’t speak about the retrieval I thought about how I was born on a rainy morning and how are child(ren) would be conceived on the same type of day – that had to be good luck! The ER scheduled before me was late, she had problems getting there because of the rain, Tom and I wondered if she had a two hour commute too, but tried to cut our anticipation down by looking at the framed collage of baby pictures that hung in the room they placed us in to wait as we held hands. We signed our waivers, met the anesthesiologist and then it was time. The IVF nurse showed me to the restroom that had lockers that I could place all of my belongings and valuables. I closed the door and began to undress, placing everything in Locker#2. Before placing my wedding rings and my Great-Grandmothers ring in my purse I kissed them for luck and closed the locker door. I stood in front of the mirror placed on the bathroom door and stared at myself wearing a maroon hospital gown. I was staring at a face of an excited, anxious, worried woman who was finally going to conceive her child(ren). Tom was waiting in the surgery room with the nurse and anesthesiologist. I handed him the key to Locker#2 and sat down on the chair. The anesthesiologist began by hooking me up to the heart monitors, blood pressure cuff and finger oxygen meter and proceeded to give me oxygen. Tom noticed that I was not wearing my socks… he didn’t want my feet to get cold so he went to get my socks and then put them on for me. Another reason why I have the best husband, he is my prince charming, my soul mate and my best friend. The anesthesiologist joked about giving me the Michael Jackson drug (since the trial was still going on during this day). It was time for Tom to kiss me and leave me in the hands of the RE. The doctor laid the chair back and raised it up while I positioned myself on the chair/table hybrid with the knee stirrups. I was asked to take a couple of deep breaths… I remember thinking okay they better make sure I am asleep before they start. The next thing I know Tom is standing beside me and they are finished with the retrieval. It seemed so quick to me. Tom stroked my hair as I regained full consciousness which didn’t take long. I sat up soon after and we were told that out of the 17 follicles we knew were growing they retrieved 17 eggs!!! I had to finish the IV of liquid before I was able to leave, and was on bed rest for the entire day. However I was also famished, and asked Tom to stop at Cracker Barrel since we had a two hour drive home I knew I couldn’t make it all the way home on just the crackers that I had packed. I hobbled into the restaurant and was served quickly! I felt like I really needed to reward myself with yummy veggies before spending the rest of the day in bed. Tom and I spent the entire day in bed watching movies. It was such a nice day together – that we will NEVER forget!

CD 42 / CD13
Day 6 Doxycycline (10mg twice daily)
Because I couldn’t eat in the morning, I thankfully missed my morning dose although I took it in the afternoon. I am happy I am over half way done with this nasty aqua pill
Day 1 Endometrin (100mg three times daily)
Not too bad, so far no side effects!

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.~Mary Kay Ash~

0 comments: