Wednesday, October 26, 2011

IVF is a Numbers Game






I held my husbands hand as he drove us 2 hours through 4 counties, a few cities and multiple little towns to our baseline appointment. I found myself quietly running crappy scenarios through my head. I was afraid that AF just showed up for a couple of hours the day before for no good reason at all and that I had not suppressed, that I would not have any antral follies and that I would be disqualified for the clinical trial. I was hoping for the best and preparing myself for bad news.

I found on the internet that E2 should be below 50 and the lower the number the better response for stimulation. http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html
Mine was 21.8 (Tom’s lucky number is 22 so we will just say it is 22)

During my internet hunt for info, I also found out how many antral follies I should have (16-30 had the best outcome) http://www.advancedfertility.com/antralfollicles.htm so you can imagine my frustration with the tech did not want to count all of my follies. Wanting not to seem like a crazy person I hinted instead of demanding that I wanted to know exactly how many, but she just said that I had a good amount and all were around 4-6mm. Didn’t she know that it is important to know how many?? However I saw her write on the chart mindlessly 4mm 4mm 4mm 4mm 4mm 5mm 6mm for both ovaries – I am not going to over think this one since it appeared that this seemed like a formality to her and just a job requirement to jot something down.

Our next appointment and first follie check will be on Friday. It was supposed to be Saturday but the IVF coordinator called to change it. Although I was looking forward to a weekend visit (because of the drive and missing work) I am happy to have the appointment pushed up so I can get a glimpse into this cycle. I hope for many follies but I pray that at least one egg will become ½ of our child.

CD 31 / CD2
Day 8 of Lupron (10units, subQ injection)
We went from 20 units down to 10 units today.
Day 1 of Menopur (75iu, subQ injection) + Bravelle (150iu, subQ injection)
We mix one 75iu vial of Menopur with two 75iu vials of Bravelle and 1cc of sodium chloride into one syringe. It burned a little, but it was a sadly familiar feeling from having used Menopur during our IUI cycles. It was just a little sore at the injection site, no other side effects.


CD 32 / CD3
Day 9 of Lupron (10units, subQ injection)
It seemed as if a drop of Lupron mixed with blood came out at the injection site. Surprisingly other than just a quick acknowledgement I didn’t panic. Luckily no bruise appeared later in the day. I am still getting headaches late in the night but thankfully no migraines like earlier into the injections.
Day 2 of Menopur (75iu, subQ injection) + Bravelle (150iu, subQ injection)
First day on my own mixing without supervision, well besides my Husband who sat on the couch that kept asking if I needed help… but I didn’t, I was prepared and partially excited to do it on my own. The injection burned and about a half inch around the injection was swollen for most of the day. I had cramps later in the day and felt a little bloated.


The heart does not calculate in numbers; it confers contentment which is immeasurable. That contentment can arise only through faith ~Atharva Veda

0 comments: